About Me

I am a computer programmer. I do programming professionally and for a laugh.

Technical stuff on programming, java, DSLs, etc...

Sunday 30 November 2014

Well that looks easy!

Simplicity takes a lot of effort.

Sometimes you watch an artist, sportsman, craftsman, a dancer, a carpenter etc. and you think, well that looks easy. The effortlessness of an activity is the number one indication of good craftsmanship in my opinion.

In some cases, like Carlos Acosta in Don Quixote yesterday night though, the effortlessness gets to a ridicules level. There I was watching that man jumping in impossible poses like he was having a walk in the park. I almost thought 'yeah, may be I can have a go at that'

Carlos Acosta in Don Quixote © ROH/Johan Persson, 2013
Carlos Acosta in Don Quixote © ROH/Johan Persson, 2013 by Royal Opera House Covent Garden

All the same with software. If it looks simple and does the job, usually it is good stuff. Like the google search text box, like macs etc. If it is wrapped with loads of fluff it is not.

Put the effort in, keep it simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers