About Me

I am a computer programmer. I do programming professionally and for a laugh.

Technical stuff on programming, java, DSLs, etc...

Sunday 31 August 2014

Making it work

LutherTitleScreen.png
"LutherTitleScreen" by BBC's YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Qg1pQSOa0). Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia.

I was watching Luther and came across this line by Detective Superintendent Rose Teller: 'I ignored all the signs because I was so busy making it work'

We are pushed this progressive approach certainly by the society and the education system (first hand experience) and possibly by evolution (probably out of my depth here).

We are always so busy trying to 'make it work'.

But sometimes it just does not work. At which point do you roll back major design decisions and start again? Here is my take on it; at the first point where you are 'patching' a design decision by another afterthought design decision. That the first line of code that fixes a design flaw rather than improving the system. It is down hill force programming from there.

Don't force program.

Disclaimer:
Read strictly in the context of software design.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers