About Me

I am a computer programmer. I do programming professionally and for a laugh.

Technical stuff on programming, java, DSLs, etc...

Thursday 15 May 2014

Watching "Is tdd dead?"

I have just watched is tdd dead with Kent Beck, Martin Fowler and David Heinemeier (not sure who he is) and here is my very biased take on it.

Kent Beck: To make a design's intermediate results testable, comes with a cost. (The cost is that you are stuck with that, possibly wrong, intermediate result. You end up force programming)

Kent Beck talks about code aesthetics. Talking about product aesthetics is a common property I observed in many great tradesmen.

Kent Beck: I don't want to twist the design just to make things more testable. (Neither do I mates, neither do I. Fills me with rage that)

Kent Beck: I mock (almost) nothing. (I think he is being kind)

Kent Beck: Mocks couple tests to implementation, making re-factoring impossible. (Like a breath of fresh air. There is actually an anti-pattern for that, it is called mock driven programming)

Martin Fowler: Self testing code is important. (Cannot agree more)

Actually, we can assume Kent Beck is the inventor of TDD, and I would advice everyone to read the book that started it all.

Read and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers