About Me

I am a computer programmer. I do programming professionally and for a laugh.

Technical stuff on programming, java, DSLs, etc...

Thursday 2 June 2011

So what is your excuse?

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate etc,etc."*

I have seen some shocking code. Classes with multiple thousand lines, methods that are almost self-aware, ten plus nested levels of for loops. I came across these stuff in top investment banks, telecoms of the largest kind. Those sins are committed by experienced developers not third year students.

Luckily, the average duration of employment in these institutions is pretty low. You are mostly safe with the customary ranting on legacy code. Occasionally tho, one of my WTFs hit a fellow programmer. You back off a bit with 'Oh I see's and whatnot. And your fellow programmer gets a bit defensive.

And always, there is an excuse. The most frequent one I come across is 'oh that bit has been done in a bit of a rush'.

Really?

So when you program in a rush, you produce 1000+ line classes with meaningless methods? Cause I don't. I do more bugs, write less tests, leave stale code in but I never write a thousand plus line class (**ignores the crowd shouting 'what about those NPEs?'**).

There is only one possible response to "time was of essence" excuse:- kthxbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers